Skip to main content

9 questions to ask yourself before planning a safari

 Thinking of going on an African safari?

Here are 9 questions that you can ask yourself and will help to design your perfect itinerary.  I could come up with more questions, but let’s say that this is a very good start.

  1. What destinations can I go to based on Covid-19 vaccination requirements?

    Some countries like Kenya require a proof of full cover course of vaccination, others currently don’t.



  2. When do I want to travel and how long?

    Dry seasons, rainy seasons, shoulder seasons, annual wildlife events, all come into the balance of where you should go on safari.



  3. Do I want to go on Safari only or Safari and beach?

    An African safari can be tiring especially when it goes over 4 days and it is sometimes a good idea to unwind on white sand beaches afterwards before heading back home.



  4. What level of luxury do I want for my lodges?

    The classic answer to this questions is ‘authentic’, ‘cosy’, ‘no big structure’, ‘small camps’, ‘tented room’, thinking that this will be kinder on the wallet. It is the opposite.  Camping is the cheapest option, luxury camps with only a few tents (4 to 8), a la carte menu, and so on.


    Photo credit: African Bushcamps


  5. What are my special interests?

    Are you particularly interested in Big cats? Birds? Wildlife photography? Whatever your interests, there is a perfect destination for you. A combination of all is also possible!



  6. I am travelling with young children (under 12 y/o), do I want kids activities to be included?

    While the typical schedule of a day on safari is to go on 2 games drives a day and relax in between, it can be a bit long for the younger ones. Luckily this is completely taken into account by some lodges that offers amazing extra activities!




  7. Am I prepared to go on a self drive safari?

    You are allowed to drive your own vehicle in National Parks and of course not require the service of a professional guide. But while this is cheaper, it is not for everyone. Firstly, you won’t have anyone to teach you about wildlife, its environment and listen to amazing stories of a guide, and secondly, you need to be careful as animals are wild and can be dangerous if their behaviour isn’t understood. However, if this is not a concern to you, self drive safari means that you can do your game drive at your own pace and this is really enjoyable.




  8. Do I want to go on a group tour? Just travel with my party and possibly share game drives? Or go completely private with no one else?

    Group tour will involved sharing game drives and activities with fellow travellers during the whole trip, travelling with your party could either be private (Kenya and Tanzania) with share game drives (private game reserves) but not your whole itinerary, private safari will only be for you and your party with seeing other people only in camps/lodges. Obviously these choices have an effect on your budget.

    Photo credit: African Bushcamps


  9. What is my budget?

    It is always the hardest question to answer…. An African safari won’t be cheap or if it is, there are reasons for it. The range of budget can easily be x 10 for a same destination! Group tour will definitely lower your budget a lot while a private safari goes on the other side of the spectrum. Different destinations, time of the year and level of luxury require different budgets. But you need to remember what is included in a safari: vehicle, petrol, professional guide, park entrance fees, game drives activities, 3 meals a day, night accommodation. When you think in those terms, price per person per night becomes easier to digest. 



Don’t worry if you can’t answer all those questions, I will help you. Send me a message and we’ll discuss how to make your dream African holidays come true!


Geraldine


www.rareencounters.co.uk

@rareencounters
+44 781 555 3834

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will we ever travel again?

I won’t lie, I miss discussing safaris with my clients every day, working on itineraries, finding the right lodge or camp and the experiences that will leave them in awe. I used some of my down time to create an Africa & Wildlife activity pack for children, to help busy parents finding various form of entertainment for them while being educational. I was overwhelmed by the response as I receive no less than 100 requests from parents and made over 120 personalised certificates for each child! Requests are still coming through, so if you are interested, please email me   with the name of your child(ren) and I will send you a free activity pack too. Like all travel agents, I am spending most of my time helping clients to rebook or obtain a refund for their recent and upcoming holidays. I am very much hoping that all departures to safari destinations this summer will be possible, and when it comes to new bookings, I would suggest to look at departures from September onwar

My 'Why': The African Bug

There is something undeniably unique about a safari holiday in Africa. It is a destination that will surprise you, as it will leave you with hundreds of indelible memories, no matter how many times you go. Just ask anyone you know who has been on an African safari - they’ll tell you that it was amaaaaazing and they’ll never forget it! I went on my first safari in 2003, in Kenya. It was planned at the last minute as an add-on activity to my relaxing beach holiday in Mombassa. Nowadays it has become my obsession, and there is no better place I’d rather be than in the African bush. My first experience of African wildlife was in Tsavo West National Park, and I still vividly remember the red dust on the road, the magnificent open skies, the postcard perfect sunsets and, of course, every wildlife encounter! Especially the cheetahs roaming around in the evening near the camp I stayed at, or the baboons constantly eyeing my breakfast while a cheeky yellow billed hornbill stole my toast. O

Have people travelled to Africa this year?

Dear fellow travellers and adventurers, I haven’t exactly bombarded you with blog posts in 2021 and I apologise for this, especially as it has not been a quiet year at all. But it's already this time of the year when I first wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2022! It may come as a surprise to some, but to answer this blog post title:  YES PEOPLE HAVE TRAVELLED!  African safari and other holiday bookings have followed the wave of travel restrictions: ups, downs and everything inside this trouble water. But those who had enough of being stranded took a leap a faith, albeit in safe hands, and made it. Keeping up to date with country rules all over the world isn’t easy even for a travel agent. But it is my duty and joy to help you through the tumult that has evolved since the start of the pandemic. Nearly 2 years of it! I am not immune to these ever changing rules: my attempts to travel to Africa failed when I lived in the UK due to lockdown followed by red listed