Skip to main content

African wildlife photography: Interview with Karina Robin

I met Karina through a mutual Instagram friend a few years ago and our common passion for Africa and its wildlife, in addition to her kindness and humour, made it bloomed into a very special friendship.

In addition to her love for Africa, Karina is a very talented wildlife photographer who also gets involved in many wildlife conservation projects. 


  1. Where and when was your first African safari? 

    I went on my first safari in 2007 for our honeymoon. We went to Kenya, visiting Samburu National Reserve and the Masai Mara. We opted to just see a limited number of parks, but rather stay several days in each so that we could fully appreciate the nature and special points of interest of each park.


  2. Wild animals are roaming free in many other countries, what makes African wildlife so special for you and makes you come back? 

    That's difficult to explain as it is rather emotive. I have been to safaris in India and it was just not the same. Africa has a special vibe that makes you come back time and again. The variety of wildlife you can observe in rather small areas and short periods of time is just breathtaking. From fabulous insects to elegant antelopes, mighty elephants, ferocious predators and graceful, colourful birds - all this can easily occur in front of you within an hour! An African safari is never dull or boring!



  3. Do you have an animal that you particularly like photographing and can you share one of your favourite photo of it with us?

    My absolute favourite is the elusive leopard. To me it is the most beautiful of all felines, so elegant when it is slinking through the bushes, stalking unsuspecting prey or simply posing gracefully on a fallen log. It is at the same time a lethal predator, a doting parent and playful like a kitten.



  4. For photography sake, are you more a sunrise or sunset person?

    I am definitely a sunrise person, although sunsets tend to be more beautiful in pictures. But for me it is the whole atmosphere of the moment, and nothing beats a peaceful early morning out when the air is still cool, the bush slowly awakens and you hear the first birds. It's that feeling that makes sunrise shots more precious for me.



  5. What would be your advice to make the most of the day light as photos tend to come out a bit ‘flat’? 

    The best times for game drives are (very) early in the morning or late in the afternoon, as then predators are at their most active. But time in the bush is precious, so sometimes you are out the whole day to make the most of your safari. Especially around the midday hours the harsh light is really not the easiest for photography. But don’t put your camera immediately away, there are ways to get some interesting shots. Harsh, contrasty light gives ideal conditions for black and white photography. Especially when your subjects are elephants or zebras this provides you with possibilities for stunning shots. Another great way to take advantage of the bright light is high-key photography, to reduce or even eliminate harsh shadows. Both, black and white as well as high-key, will give a fine art feeling to your pictures.

                  

  6. Do you have a few simple advice for a first time safari goer who is keen to take some good photos? For example, try not to take a photo from too high above the animal… 

    My first advice is to be patient. There are sometimes lucky snapshots, but I got my best shots when I took the time to get used to the scene and observe the animals for a longer time. Don't rush to check your bucket list. Less is more! Animals will get used to your vehicle and behave naturally which may deliver great shots. I would never have made that shot of the wildebeest if I hadn’t been patient. I just knew something would happened and waited … And they started fighting!



    A tight portrait of an animal is beautiful, but do also take pictures of the bigger scene, showing the animal in its surroundings.

    In low light situations, don't be afraid to test the limits of your camera's ISO capacities. When you get home you are happy to have that shot of the lion, even if it's not technically perfect. But you've got your memory photo! If you are already quite an experienced photographer now it’s time to be creative. Panning shots - at a very low shutterspeed - are a great way to depict a scene with movement, such as running antelope.

    If you are new to photography it is easier to shoot with the light than against it.

    Always opt for a low angle whenever possible. A photo is so much nicer if the viewer’s eyes are on the same level as the animal’s. But do not get out of your vehicle without the explicit permission of your guide! If you are on a self-drive adventure: do not leave your vehicle outside permitted places!

    And never forget to put the camera down once in a while to just enjoy the wonderful scenery of the African bush with your bare eyes!



  7. Is there a funny story that you'd like to share while taking photos in Africa? 

    I once met a young elephant bachelor whilst on my own in a remote corner of Kruger National Park. He was enjoying a nice spa moment when he saw me. He then decided to put up a wonderful show for me, having me in stitches for at least 15 minutes. He was just adorable, always having an eye on me whether I was paying him the due attention. It was a moment of pure joy, I think for both of us.



  8. Do you have any other animals that you dream to photograph in Africa? And elsewhere in the world?

    My dream animals are of course the rare pangolin and an Aardvark close-up. I'd love to visit the Pantanal to see jaguars and giant otters in the wild. And lemurs and the fossa in Madagascar. This will hopefully become reality this year with an expedition Geraldine (through Rare Encounters) organised exclusively for me.

  9. Your love for wildlife naturally extends into your involvement with wildlife conservation. Can you explain how you contribute towards it through your photography? 

    I love observing and photographing animals in the wild. I believe it is of utmost importance to preserve our nature. Therefore I work exclusively to finance conservation projects, such as anti-poaching or rehabilitating nature reserves. African communities can't do this job on their own, they need our help. Since 2018 I am an ambassador for the ZENWETRUST, an association aiming at the rehabilitation of the Cecil Kop Nature Reserve in Zimbabwe. They need funds to fully rehabilitate the reserve to a point where it can sustain itself through income from visitors, educational & volunteer programmes. Via my homepage it is possible to obtain prints of my work on different media as well as annual calendars. Hundred percent of the profit of each sale and any other income generated through my photography are sent to dedicated associations.

Indeed, I am one of the lucky people who owns one of Karina’s photo (below) and know that I contributed towards a good cause.




In addition, I want to thank Karina for her incredible support throughout the years towards my wildlife conservation charity Wild & Free - Rehabilitation and Release.


Please check and follow Karina’s beautiful Instagram account and visit her website to see more stunning wildlife photos available to buy while contributing to wildlife conservation.


If you would like to discuss the best spot with African wildlife photography, do not hesitate to contact me:  geraldine@morellitravel.co.uk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will we ever travel again?

I won’t lie, I miss discussing safaris with my clients every day, working on itineraries, finding the right lodge or camp and the experiences that will leave them in awe. I used some of my down time to create an Africa & Wildlife activity pack for children, to help busy parents finding various form of entertainment for them while being educational. I was overwhelmed by the response as I receive no less than 100 requests from parents and made over 120 personalised certificates for each child! Requests are still coming through, so if you are interested, please email me   with the name of your child(ren) and I will send you a free activity pack too. Like all travel agents, I am spending most of my time helping clients to rebook or obtain a refund for their recent and upcoming holidays. I am very much hoping that all departures to safari destinations this summer will be possible, and when it comes to new bookings, I would suggest to look at departures from September onwar

My 'Why': The African Bug

There is something undeniably unique about a safari holiday in Africa. It is a destination that will surprise you, as it will leave you with hundreds of indelible memories, no matter how many times you go. Just ask anyone you know who has been on an African safari - they’ll tell you that it was amaaaaazing and they’ll never forget it! I went on my first safari in 2003, in Kenya. It was planned at the last minute as an add-on activity to my relaxing beach holiday in Mombassa. Nowadays it has become my obsession, and there is no better place I’d rather be than in the African bush. My first experience of African wildlife was in Tsavo West National Park, and I still vividly remember the red dust on the road, the magnificent open skies, the postcard perfect sunsets and, of course, every wildlife encounter! Especially the cheetahs roaming around in the evening near the camp I stayed at, or the baboons constantly eyeing my breakfast while a cheeky yellow billed hornbill stole my toast. O

Have people travelled to Africa this year?

Dear fellow travellers and adventurers, I haven’t exactly bombarded you with blog posts in 2021 and I apologise for this, especially as it has not been a quiet year at all. But it's already this time of the year when I first wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2022! It may come as a surprise to some, but to answer this blog post title:  YES PEOPLE HAVE TRAVELLED!  African safari and other holiday bookings have followed the wave of travel restrictions: ups, downs and everything inside this trouble water. But those who had enough of being stranded took a leap a faith, albeit in safe hands, and made it. Keeping up to date with country rules all over the world isn’t easy even for a travel agent. But it is my duty and joy to help you through the tumult that has evolved since the start of the pandemic. Nearly 2 years of it! I am not immune to these ever changing rules: my attempts to travel to Africa failed when I lived in the UK due to lockdown followed by red listed