Skip to main content

Client interview: Family safari to Tanzania for a special occasion

Are you considering going on an African safari with children and wondering what others' experience is? Then, this blog might be useful to you: I asked a few questions to Marie who returned from a safari to Tanzania in August 2019 with her husband and 3 children aged 10, 12 and 14 years old. I'm sure you'll agree that her enthusiasm is contagious!

Marie, we have known each other for a while, as we used to work together. We used to talk about African safaris in the office corridors a few years ago and I remember when you told me 'One day, I will take my children, I am waiting for the right time as I want them to remember the experience'. Fast forward to a few months ago when you asked me to help you organise your African safari – I am so grateful that you asked me to create this amazing holiday for your family!

So tell me: 

What made you decide that it was the right time to take your family on safari? 

This year was a very special year for us since we celebrated our 20-year wedding anniversary! We wanted to do something really special with our children to celebrate. Also, Jules, our youngest son just turned 10, his brothers being 12 and 14, we believed they reached the perfect age to experience a Safari, and old enough to keep memories for life.

Photo: Marie Doutriaux

Sometimes people aren't sure where to go in Africa, but you were quite set on the destination: Tanzania. Can you tell me why? 

Actually I checked a few popular Safari destinations before making the final choice. We were tempted by Namibia, Botswana as well as Kenya/Tanzania ; we finally opted for Tanzania since it is seemed the best choice at this time of the year (August) both in terms of climate and for the big migration. Tanzania was also a good destination to mix a Safari and a beach holiday in Zanzibar.

You did the Northern circuit in Tanzania in August 2019, what are your 3 highlights from it? 

We absolutely loved Tarangire probably because it was the very first park we discovered, but also because of the amazing concentration of animals : we encountered hundreds of elephants, zebras, wildebeests, impalas, girafes, and colourful birds. We did not expect to see as many so quickly! Tarangire atmosphere is very quiet and the landscapes are truly beautiful.
Of course we were also very impressed by the Ngorongoro crater, where we were lucky enough to see rhinos and cheetahs. 
In the Serengeti National Park, we were especially amazed by the proximity that we managed to have with the animals, we have been a few meters away from massive lions and leopards.

Photo: Marie Doutriaux

As a mother of 3 children, were you worried about their safety or whether they would enjoy it ‘enough'? 

Not really, I knew that we would be in good hands and that the trip had been carefuly prepared ; and I must say that the feeling of being in an wild and possibly unsafe environment even added to the excitement. For example, we spent a couple of nights in a tented camp in the Serengeti, knowing that lions and hyenas may wander around our tents, this was super exciting! 

Now that you are back home, what is their impression of their first African safari? 

They loved it and would do it again tomorrow if they had a chance! They also got a real good connection with our driver and guide, who was very very knowledgeable and able to spot an animal from far away. He had a very inspiring personal life, one of my son told him he wanted to become a Safari guide when he grew up!

And how do you feel about this trip, did it meet your expectations? Would you recommend it? And if so, who would you recommend it to? 

I loved it too and I can say that this trip exceeded my expectations! I knew I was going to be impressed by the wild life and beautiful African plains, but I did not except to become so excited and moved by the game drives, scanning the savanna with binoculars to capture amazing unpredictable scenes. I also loved the African vibes, we stayed in charming and authentic lodges and met very nice people everywhere we went.
I would definitely recommend this trip to families with kids aged 9-10 and over.

Photo:Marie Doutriaux

Do you have anything to add that you feel future families may want to be aware of before embarking on this Safari? 

We took several good Safari books with us and did not regret it ; when we were discovering new species, we were always very keen on getting to know everything about it; my 3 sons were always trying to find new facts about the animals, what they were eating, how they were hunting, what were their habitat, etc . Since we spent a lot a time in the car, it is good to keep them busy and entertained; also very important to take good quality binoculars, at least a couple, to avoid family arguments, and enjoy the sightings!

I also want to say a personal thank you to you for supporting my charity 'Wild&Free Rehabilitation and Release' by purchasing our hoodies for all members of your family. You are a dream client, thank you so much Marie! 


You are so welcome, we were very proud to support your charity. Big thank you Geraldine for organising this amazing trip for us! I now have to sort the 1600 pictures we took to create a photo book of this incredible experience!

Photo: Marie Doutriaux

If you would like to discuss your next safari with your family, do not hesitate to call me: +44 (0)7815553834 or email me: geraldine@morellitravel.co.uk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 'Why': The African Bug

There is something undeniably unique about a safari holiday in Africa. It is a destination that will surprise you, as it will leave you with hundreds of indelible memories, no matter how many times you go. Just ask anyone you know who has been on an African safari - they’ll tell you that it was amaaaaazing and they’ll never forget it! I went on my first safari in 2003, in Kenya. It was planned at the last minute as an add-on activity to my relaxing beach holiday in Mombassa. Nowadays it has become my obsession, and there is no better place I’d rather be than in the African bush. My first experience of African wildlife was in Tsavo West National Park, and I still vividly remember the red dust on the road, the magnificent open skies, the postcard perfect sunsets and, of course, every wildlife encounter! Especially the cheetahs roaming around in the evening near the camp I stayed at, or the baboons constantly eyeing my breakfast while a cheeky yellow billed hornbill stole my toast. O

10 tips to keep children happy on an African safari

“Are you sure she isn't too young to go to Africa? Can you not wait a few more years?” If you have read my 1st blog post about 'The African bug' , you will know that no, I couldn't wait a few more years and I really wanted to share my passion with my daughter.  So, when she was 3 years old, I decided to take her to South Africa with me to volunteer in a primate rehabilitation centre and camp in the Kruger National Park on safari. My son was only 9 months old, and indeed too young...to volunteer at least! They are 7 and 10 at the time of writing this blog post and they have been to Africa 3 and 6 times respectively, with our next trip coming up to Tanzania. Our safaris are always 'the best holidays EVER', they say. They remember so much more than I imagine they could and surprise me with their behaviour around wild animals (in a good way). From the moment we land back in London, I hear the familiar question that has since started to sound like a brok

9 questions to ask yourself before planning a safari

  Thinking of going on an African safari? Here are 9 questions that you can ask yourself and will help to design your perfect itinerary.   I could come up with more questions, but let’s say that this is a very good start. What destinations can I go to based on Covid-19 vaccination requirements? Some countries like Kenya require a proof of full cover course of vaccination, others currently don’t. When do I want to travel and how long? Dry seasons, rainy seasons, shoulder seasons, annual wildlife events, all come into the balance of where you should go on safari. Do I want to go on Safari only or Safari and beach? An African safari can be tiring especially when it goes over 4 days and it is sometimes a good idea to unwind on white sand beaches afterwards before heading back home. What level of luxury do I want for my lodges? The classic answer to this questions is ‘authentic’, ‘cosy’, ‘no big structure’, ‘small camps’, ‘tented room’, thinking that this will be kinder on the wallet. It is